Short History of the Area Surrounding Country Club Hills
The Willcoxon family owned the land that would eventually become CCH. In 1810 Rezin Willcoxon owned one thousand acres in the area, and in 1854 his son Albert bought 367 acres from this father. His land included what is now referred to as the Blenheim house, the police station, CCH, Old Lee Hills and Daniels Run Elementary. He operated a farm, growing mostly wheat and oats, and used slaves to work the property. The land remained in in the hands of the Willcoxon’s for four generations. The family lived in the Blenheim house through the Civil War when the area was occupied by northern troops (which must have been uncomfortable for Albert, since he voted for secession). After the war the Willcoxon’s turned to dairy farming, like many farmers in Fairfax County.
The county was the largest dairy producer in Virginia for a long period. Albert died in 1885; his wife Mary died in 1903. Albert’s son Harry inherited the house and land on the CCH side off Old Lee Highway and his sister, Bessie inherited what is now Old Lee Hills. The green house with the high wall on the corner of Old Post Road, was her home. In 1948 the 4th generation Barbara Scott and her Mother 3rd generation Margarite Duras sold all except 12 acres, the surrounding land which become CCH.
Today, the home of Albert and its 12 acres is a City park, and the Civil War Interpretive Center is open for all residents to enjoy.
Thanks to Karen Moore of the Fairfax City Library and Andrea Lowenwarter, Historic Resources Specialist of Historic Blenheim. for their help with the research.
BTW – Check out the CCH Historical Archive, which contains numerous documents from the early days of CCH.