Blenheim, the Wilcoxin family farm, a 12 acre site dates back to 1858 when Albert Wilcoxon purchased 367 acres from his father Rezin and began to raise wheat, oats and corn with the help of slaves. Later, it became a dairy farm. The Wilcoxon descendants lived on the land until 1988 when Barbara Scott (4th generation) passed away and left no heirs. It was her wish that the site be preserved because of its historical value.
Blenheim was occupied by the Union on three separate occasions during the civil war. Fortunately the house suffered little damage during the occupancy; instead the Union soldiers left us a remarkable history of what they experienced during the war by writing on the walls of the house, particularly in the attic. The house served as a headquarters and for almost a year, a hospital for mildly ill or injured soldiers. During their stay they signed their names, their regiments, and on occasion what they were experiencing as a solider in this War Between the States.
Thanks to Barbara Scott for guarding these signatures that are the best preserved examples of Civil War inscriptions, and the foresight of some citizens who lobbied the City officials to purchase the property, this 200 year old history is now available for view to visitors from all over the world. The Blenheim Civil War Interpretive Center opened its doors on November 1, 2008 and is open Tuesday through Saturday for tours. Blenheim is on the National Register of Historic Places as well as on The Civil War Trails.
The City’s Department of Historic Resources manages the site. For more information on tours and rentals, call 703 273-5452703 273-5452. Blenheim Interpretive Center is located next to the site.
Civil War Interpretive Center: